Why I Need To Wear Retainers after Braces?
There is nothing more pleasant feeling like looking in the mirror for the first time after completing your orthodontic treatment. Your smile will be perfect and beautiful either you've chosen Braces or Invisalign the results will be the same. Many of our patients ask our Orthodontist in Pasadena whether "they need a retainer after their braces get off?" The answer to that is yes. Almost everyone needs some kind of retainer after their braces get off.
A retainer will ensure the investment and hard work you have put into braces aren't undone because your teeth might move back to their old position. Our Pasadena orthodontist will fit you with a custom retainer that you need to wear daily to keep your brand new smile beautiful for years.
What Does Retainer Do After Braces?
When braces are removed teeth are most likely to move back to their original position. Hence, a retainer does the important job of holding your teeth in place. Wearing retainer for full time will keep your teeth in place and settle down the gums. After the completion of a few months, our Orthodontist in Pasadena will recommend not to wear a retainer in the morning but keep wearing it at night.
Risk of Not Wearing Your Retainer:
If you neglect to wear your retainer, your teeth might start to move back to their original position along with your soft tissue. If you stop wearing your retainer consistently you may need further orthodontic treatment to fix your smile. Don't let your hard work go into vain preserve your smile with a retainer.
Types of Retainers:
There are two types of retainers:
- Permanent Retainers: It is a thin wire retainer that is placed behind the teeth so it is invisible. This kind of retainer is kept in place for several years.
- Removable Retainers: It is a clear plastic material that fits over your teeth. It is made up of clear plastic and is virtually invisible.
Our Orthodontist in Pasadena will recommend the one that's best suites you towards the end of treatment.
Tips for Retainer Success:
To keep your brand new smile successful it is important to follow the below tips to make your retainer success:
- Brush your retainer every time you take it out, as you do to your teeth.
- Immerse your retainer at least twice a week into a denture cleaning solution.
- Keep your retainer away from the area that exceeds 110 degrees.
- Track your retainer to avoid replacement costs.
At Cal Dental Group of Pasadena, we've created beautiful smiles for countless patients. If you have any queries about Retainers, Braces, and Orthodontic treatment schedules your appointment with our Orthodontist in Pasadena by calling us at (626) 584-1800.