5 Things To Know Before Getting Braces In 2020
Braces are great for teeth straightening treatment that allows patients to enjoy straight and more beautiful teeth. Straight teeth not only seem attractive, but they're easier to keep clean and less prone to problems like tooth decay, and toothaches later in life. Crooked teeth can be a real problem, no matter what condition your mouth is in or how old you are. Getting braces for your crooked teeth is a good choice. If you're like most patients having some questions and concerns about orthodontic treatment then you can approach our Orthodontist in Pasadena.
Here's a guide to some of the most important things to know about dental braces that will help you to prepare for them, no matter how old you are.
- You Can Have Braces At Any Age: Dental Braces are most commonly associated with teenagers because this is when most people first notice their crooked teeth. As there is no age limit for this kind of corrective treatment, so don't be put off by stereotypes. Orthodontic treatment is used to correct misaligned teeth at any age, just so long as your teeth and gums are reasonably strong.
- Do Braces Hurt: The answer to this question is "Yes". But, before you get panic the discomfort associated with braces is usually quite mild and manageable. The major pain is usually felt on the day just after your braces are applied, and the wires are tightened. Usually, the pain may feel like pressure in your jaw. To keep it in control hold ice against the outside of your jaw and take a pain reliever like ibuprofen.
- Straight Teeth Are Not Everything: Most people assume that braces are all about giving patient perfectly straight teeth. This is one of the main aims of wearing braces, but this is not the only objective, dental braces can achieve a lot more. That's the reason when a patient attends our Dental Office in Pasadena for a consultation. Our Pasadena Orthodontist examines their mouth for a lot of different issues. Our Orthodontist asks a lot of questions to build up a comprehensive oral review.
- How Long Do You Have To Wear Braces: When you visit our Orthodontist to get your braces, they will give you an estimate of how long you'll need to wear your braces? The more misaligned your teeth are, the longer you need to wear them. Our orthodontist observes how your teeth move in your mouth and adjust them accordingly.
- How Do You Take Care of Your Teeth When Wearing Braces: Caring for your teeth while wearing braces starts with avoiding crunchy foods that may cause the wires of the braces to snap. It's better to avoid sugary foods, as these can cause plaque and bacteria build up around your braces that lead to tooth decay and cavities. Brushing your teeth while wearing braces can take a bit longer, but you must do it thoroughly. Our Orthodontist in Pasadena Dr. Sunyoto recommends using a toothbrush with a small head and spending some time individually brushing around each brace. Also make sure that you brush and floss after each meal, as this helps in removing food particles that get caught in your teeth and braces. Another important reason to take care of your braces is to wear a mouthguard while playing sports. If you're looking for an "Orthodontist near Me" that can make you a customized mouth guard that fits precisely over your teeth. Our Pasadena Orthodontist Dr. Sunyoto can help you in getting a customized mouth guard.
If you opt for an Invisalign in Pasadena rather than a traditional braces. It's a little easier to take care of your teeth during the treatment period. Just remove your aligners before brushing and flossing.
If you're still considering whether or not braces are right for you, contact our Orthodontist in Pasadena by calling us at (626) 584-1800 and schedule an appointment today.